Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Giddyup!

Several weeks ago,  I saw "Secretariat" with a few friends at the AMC Santa Anita.  What better place to watch a horse racing movie than at a mall adjacent to a famous racetrack?  OK, so AT the racetrack would have been better, but this is the closest I could get.

  • I want a racehorse.
  • I loved the way Miss Ham would give Lucien's clothing a look because he was always uniquely dressed.
  • John Malkovich cracked me up as Lucien in pretty much every scene in which he appeared.
  • It was interesting to see Scott Glenn so vulnerable.  I'm used to seeing him as a tough guy.
  • I half-expected James Cromwell to trade Secretariat for a shepherding pig.
  • OK, so I didn't really get why I was not really liking Dylan Walsh's character until I checked IMDB for his previous roles.  He played the other guy in "The Lake House". I didn't like his character in that movie.
  • I loved how Red would pose for the cameras.  He's a star, and he knows it!  I mean, look!  He has his own website!  http://www.secretariat.com/
  • I loved Diane Lane's outfits, especially the navy blue one that she wore to the Belmont Stakes.  They had that on display at the El Capitan.
  • Nobody stands still in the wind like Diane Lane.  She's as beautiful as she was when she played Cherry Valance in "The Outsiders".
  • That's an amazing record that Secretariat has:  his record at the Belmont, which won him the Triple Crown, has not yet been beat, and it's been 37 years since then.
Great, emotional movie, even when you know how well he's going to do.  I definitely recommend it to anyone that likes horses or drama or horse dramas or watching Diane Lane stand still in the wind
.

No comments:

Post a Comment